Again, I have neglected this idea for a while, but find myself back here, with a ton of fresh ideas. June was the month of gift giving and traveling, so we had quite a bit of fun! My college friends came for the day, so I whipped up a low cost gift basket for them. I finally got to meet my soon-to-be niece and Daddykins got some baby practice in, which means we brought presents for momma and baby on our visit. And of course, it was Father's day, so I needed to think of something nice for my step dad!
My first gift basket of the month - the lime green theme! It was for my best girlfriends who came up for a visit. It happened to be close to one of their birthdays, so I made a basket for them both, since I didn't send a present for the January birthday gal!
- green basket - $1
- basket filler and paper - $2
- stickers (my friend loves them) - $2
- photo book - $1
- picture frame - $3
- photos, 25 printed - $6.75
- Glee game - $8
- Jellies - free (leftovers from xmas presents)
- CD of our favorite songs - free (already had them!)
- wrapping paper and ribbon - free
So for a gift that covers 2 birthdays, less than $25. They loved it, it looked amazing and it did not break my bank!
My second gift basket of the month - "play ball" theme! I was fortunate to be running through my hometown on father's day and was able to give my step-dad his present! His gift is a little more 'over the top' than I would usually like to spend or do... However, I feel like I must make up for my 20 years of just giving peanut "m&ms" for Christmas, birthday and father's day. So I step up my game a bit with him.
- My step dad LOVES Golden Corral (me, not so much), but our little city just built one, so I hopped on board and tried to get him a gift certificate... after trying FIVE TIMES to get in the door, I finally got one, for $40
- Tickets to a baseball game - I figured since he would be traveling to eat, he could stay for a bit and take in america's past time... tickets for four were only $50 and our seats were awesome!
- Gas card - he didn't really need it, but I thought it tied the gift together and made it more of a carefree day - $20
- Basket - $1
- Bow - $1
- 'flair' aka the ball - $1
- basket filler - $1
So our total was a little out there, at $144, but that is including all 4 tickets, not just his. And like I said, it is money and time well spent because I feel like I need to make up for lost time, and we got to spend a whole day together, which was amazing.
And now we are on to the new momma and baby! I had a lot of fun with this one, and my soon-to-be sister-in-law was very thankful and LOVED the chocolate! It was simple, but had some heartfelt touches.
- First and foremost - the chocolate. I went with organic because momma was not using formula yet for the baby, and I didn't want to cause harm. $12
- Tea - took some time to research what was ok for new mother's to have, and I think I got it right! $6
- Cute little sign "a daughter is a gift sent from above to treasure and forever love" $4
- a very cute press on/press off owl night light $10
All in all, she loved it and really appreciated the chocolate! I think she was very touched that someone thought of her and not just the baby.
The price was a little high, at $32, but it was much cheaper than sending flowers, fruit or pre-made gift basket that I was thinking about doing just after the baby was born. And I know she would do the same for me, or even more, so it felt nice to do something sweet for her!!