I love, love, love stew... and although I have not eaten meat in almost 10 years, I still crave beef stew when it gets cooler out, so I make potato stew instead. It is yummy, vegan and so easy that we eat it almost once a week in the winter!
I do not always follow a strict recipe. To me, cooking is a combination of chemistry, art and a passion for feeding others. So sometimes, I go with 'dash,' 'handful' or 'splash'... do what you think is best and what your family would like most.
Potato Stew (in the crock pot):
4 to 6 large red potatoes, washed and cut to ~2in x 2in pieces
1 large onion, quartered (or smaller, depending on your texture tastes)
4 to 5 large carrots, the fatter the better, washed and cut into 2 inch chunks
3 to 4 celery stalks, washed and cut into 1 inch chunks
Vegan stock (I use the brand Better than Bouillon)
1/2 container of Tofu (silken)
- Throw all ingredients into the crock pot, add about 6 cups of water (enough to cover the potatoes and veggies), with spices on top.
- Turn on crock pot to have it done cooking a half hour prior to dinner.
- If you will be 'setting it and forgetting it,' heat a cup of water in the microwave for about 2 min and stir in about a table spoon of broth, mix well and add to the stew. If you will be supervising, add bouillon directly to stew after 2 hours, and stir well.
- A half hour before you are ready to eat, the stew should be finished. If you want a thicker stew, take a half cup of stew broth and put in a sauce pan. Heat on medium low, and as it is rising to a boil, take a tablespoon of corn starch and add a small amount of water to make it a liquid (but not too thin). Once broth is boiling, add corn starch slowly, while whisking quickly. It will thicken as you continue to add the corn starch. Once the broth has become thick and uniform, add it to the stew and stir, stir, stir!
- If you would like a creamier stew, take half a container of silken tofu and a few tablespoons of water and blend it until smooth. If you would like a more flavorful stew, you can add a teaspoon of broth to the tofu as you blend it. Once blended, add to stew and stir, stir, stir.
- You can have both creamy and thick stew, or you can have a more soup like stew, up to you!
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Very simple and delicious! I usually serve with a fresh green salad and homemade whole wheat rolls! Yumm!!