Monday, December 24, 2012

A 'mostly' DIY Christmas!

In our house, we do not believe in anything religious, but we do believe in giving gifts and being with family.  
This year, our budget was tight and we still wanted to do some nice things for people. 

The 'smaller' gifts:

I had my aunts and uncles, grandparents, Daddykins' step siblings, and neighbors to give gifts to, and I had been busy all summer trying my hand at canning, so for presents, I made jelly/jams.

For 8 people:                                                                              
  • they got 3 jars of jam each                                        $.66(jar)  ~$1 (jam) x3
  • wrapped in bags (leftovers from a few years ago)            $0
  • ribbons from the dollar store                                   $.33
  • little plastic plates from the dollar store               $.13
  • decorative fabric to top jelly jars                             $.16  x3
  • and "care cards" that I made from old scraps     $0

  Total each:  $5.92


The smaller baskets, with the small plastic plate to keep the jars stable.  
used old curling ribbon and scrapbook paper to decorate the jars.  

The 'bigger' gifts:

For the big gifts, I made the the 'couples' or dear friends presents that were a bit nicer and bigger than the smaller gifts.  

For my parents, Daddykins' parents, my sister and brother an law, and soon to be brother and sister in law, I made fun baskets.  We did baskets, but only had to buy 1 basket for these gifts.  Some baskets I was able to make one of the presents work as a "base" which worked out well.  

For 4 baskets:
  • They each got 3 jars of jelly (no plastic plate needed)                               $5.97
  • I crocheted each of the girls a scarf, with yarn bought on sale               $4.99
  • and the boys got small presents, which averaged around $10 (with the exception of my step dad who threw my budget out the window, with his only request for a gift in 20 years)      $10.00
Total each:  20.96 each 

The basket for Daddykins' parents...
strawberry, raspberry and blueberry/cherry jam!


Some of the scarves I made, wrapped in ribbon or tulle, 
put in the baskets with the jelly and guy's gifts  


The tag on how to ensure food quality were 
included in the presents!




































For my close girlfriends, they got scarves and jelly:

For 3 baskets: 
  • They each got 3 jars of jelly (no plastic plate needed)                     $5.97
  • I crocheted each of the girls a scarf, with yarn bought on sale     $4.99
Total each:  $10.96

Random Present Expenses:
  • baskets                        $2 (dollar store) 
  • basket fluff                $6 (dollar store)
  • basket bags                $3 (dollar store)
  • candy                           $5 (dollar store)
  • wrapping paper        $3 (dollar store, recyclable) 
  • 'pet gifts'                     $10 
  • random stuff             $2
  • 2 Thomas Puzzles    $2 (dollar store) 
  • 1 Thomas DVD          $16
Total: $49



Total for 16 people:  $213.08











No comments:

Post a Comment