Thursday, April 4, 2013

Lentils and Sweet Potato - Yum!

I am continuously being told Spring is right around the corner, but with measurable snow fall this April, I am wondering what corner everyone is looking around, because I don't see winter ending anytime soon.  BUT, the good news with that is, I can use stews and sweet potatoes longer!  I had intended this to be a crock pot recipe, but when I got home from working the overnight, I was too tired to even plug the thing in!  So I changed my plan and just made it on the stove top.  This meal was hearty and had a unique combination of savory and sweet, but it was really quite filling and delicious.  I served it with crunchy bread and salad.  Quick, easy, cheap and best of all, vegan. :)

Ingredients:

1/2 onion diced 
1-2 cloves garlic diced 
1 - 2 tablespoons oil 
1 - 2 cups water
1 large sweet potato - cut into 1/2 inch cubes 
1 cup rinsed lentils 
1 tablespoon vegetable stock 
2 teaspoons each rosemary, thyme and sage 

Directions:


  • saute onions in oil until see-through, add in garlic, being careful not to burn garlic 
  • add water, sweet potatoes and lentils 
  • once warmed, add stock and spices, and simmer until lentils and potatoes are tender (about 30 - 40 minutes) 
  • At the end, I added about a half cup on frozen spinach to give its some green and it turned out to be a nice addition!

No comments:

Post a Comment