Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spending so much $$ on fruits and veggies, just to waste them!

In my house, I always seem to over estimate how many fresh fruits and veggies we will eat in a week, and, as much as I hate to admit it, a lot of them go to waste.  But, on our new budget, I have very little wiggle room and so I have become better at estimating, as well as preserving what we purchase.  As Spring and Summer approach, we will be able to purchase more veggies for less money, and hopefully increase our consumption during that time!

Ways to extend the life of fruits/veggies...

  • keep the fridge clean
    • leftovers that sit too long accumulate bacteria that increase the spoiling rate of other foods in the fridge.  
    • we keep unfrozen leftovers for only 48 hours and discard them after that 
    • I use my standard cleaning spray (vinegar, water, tea tree essential oil)  wipe down all surfaces of the inside of the fridge every 2 weeks (or more if I notice anything)
  • if fruits or veggies ripen too fast outside the fridge, I toss them in the fridge to give me an extra 2 - 3 days to use them 
    • bananas will turn brown in the fridge, but will still be fine to eat
    • I usually end up throwing my tomatoes and avocados in the fridge by the end of the week, but they still taste just fine to me!
  • as soon as I get home from shopping I wash the fruits and veggies - it makes them last so much longer!!
  • I do it for all veggies, even melons and squashes... keeps them
    fresh longer!
    • it is quite simple... wash out the sink, fill with cold water, add a half cup vinegar, and soak everything for 3 - 5 min, rotating as it floats up... viola!  
    • the vinegar helps stop any fungus or bacteria growth and inhibits decomposition for some time, which obviously keeps things fresh!!
  • Hydration is your friend!! 
    • soft or soggy veggies (peppers, broccoli, celery, asparagus etc) can be freshened by cutting a new edge (the top stem of a pepper, the ends of celery etc) and placing the fresh end in a bit of cold water and allowing it to sit for an hour will give you fresh veggies once again!!
    • sometimes veggies are beyond help, so be sure to look for mold, rot and slime... I would not advocate eating or trying to save those!!

No comments:

Post a Comment